The Mail on Sunday is running a concussion campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of sports related concussion and to urge for better regulations a monitoring.
The Mail on Sunday believes rugby’s ruling bodies must:
1. Commission independent, scientific research into the incidence of concussion in rugby and the effect of repeated head trauma, including any links to serious neurological conditions.
2. Compel coaches and players at all levels of the game to undergo training in concussion awareness and treatment.
3. Introduce compulsory medical examinations by independent doctors for any player suffering more than one concussion within a three-month period.
4. Oblige all clubs and encourage all rugby-playing schools to display concussion information posters in clubhouses and changing rooms.
5. Enforce penalties for any failure to implement the above.